I am not so sure that many people really ponder this question. I meet people from all walks of life and basically most of them tell me that they are going to Heaven. I usually hear things like they can't wait to see Uncle George, or their Mom or Dad, spouses, grandparents and some to even meet their child(ren) or see them again. But, you know I have never once heard anyone say that they can't wait to get to Heaven to worship Christ, or to have the honor of bowing at His feet. To see Him for ourselves and to spend time in His presence.
I loved my Dad. As most people who loose their battle with cancer, our family felt he was taken too early. At just 55 years his life ended. There are times I miss him so badly and of course I look forward to seeing him again in Heaven. But, will I really end this life and be in the presence of Christ, look around and ask, "Where is my Dad?" I doubt it! Honestly, I sure hope not! I think I will be in awe of Christ and that I am actually in His presence and fall on my face in worship and humility. I won't deserve to be there. I deserve Hell! If not for Him and His sacrifice on the cross, I wouldn't be there. That is how I think I will, how I should react. Do I want to see my Dad again? Yes! Of course, I do. But, here is a question we all should think about.
If I die and go to Heaven and never see anyone I loved here on earth again, would I still be ready and excited to get there?
Now that takes us in a different direction. Is my focus on seeing Christ or seeing my loved ones? Gratifying my emptiness from loss here on earth or having the honor to bow at my Creator and Master?
We need to take seriously the reason behind our motives. We need to read the Bible and understand what salvation is really about. Not everyone we know is going to Heaven or is already there. Only those who have trusted Christ as their personal Savior and repented (Which means they have admitted they sin and need a Savior.) will enter Heaven.
Do I believe that we will see our Christian family members and friends again in Heaven? Yes, I do. But that cannot and should not be our motive for wanting Heaven. Neither should we see our salvation as a "ticket" from hell.
One sin I keep coming back to in each struggle in my life is selfishness. I want, I feel, I know, I have.... over and over I hear my voice in my head saying things that reflect my selfishness. It is the one root that is so deep and twisted around everything and every sin I commit has it rooted so deep. So, even with my afterlife, I am tempted to think about what I want.
But, it isn't about me. It is about Christ. It is about my Creator making me for His glory and His pleasure, and His will. Not mine and not yours.
- There will be no longer any curse; and the throne of God and the Lamb will be in it, and His bond-servants will serve Him. Revelation 22:3
- “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. - Matthew 7:21
- And the Lord said: “Because this people draw near with their mouth and honor me with their lips, while their hearts are far from me, and their fear of me is a commandment taught by men... - Isaiah 29:13
- Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3
- For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God.. 2 Timothy 3:2-4
- For they all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. -Philippians 2:21
No comments:
Post a Comment