Home made laundry soap. No grating, no cooking, easy liquid method:
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2013/03/super-concentrated-no-grate-liquid-laundry-detergent.html
Foil balls for fabric softening and static removal:
http://lifehacker.com/5533418/use-aluminum-foil-to-keep-clothes-static-free
Dry Erase Markers:
These are great because you can always just wipe them off. Here are some things around the house I like them for:
- Leave notes on the top of the washer for items that need to be line dried. Never forget and toss that expensive dress or slack into to the dryer again!
- Labeling items on the edges of glass plates. For my daughter's birthday we decided to do little finger food and for the roll up wraps we needed to have things labeled. One plate vegan, one for ham, one for turkey, etc. Worked out well so that the kids with dairy sensitivities didn't get cheese and the vegans didn't get meat.
- Parties. Want to make notes of photos without keeping them there forever? Just grab your DE Marker and a picture frame....TA-DA! Lil' Suzie's kindergarten picture is labeled for her High School graduation party and once it is over, just wipe off with a napkin.
- Notes to kids/hubby/room mate on bathroom mirror. Who doesn't need to tinkle first thing in the morning and a note in front of you face is the best place! "Don't forget your check up today at 3:45!"
- Customize stem wear...serving guest drinks. Opt for the stem wear even for iced tea and lemonade. This way you can write an backwards initial on the bottom edge of the glass. When set upright to fill, the letter shows through and doesn't wear off from touching or condensation. Even just a simple star or mark in a certain color can help identify glasses.
Houseplants:
When a busy week or just a simple trip away from home for a few days means your poor lil' plants will dry out, just place ice cubes on top of the soil. They melt slowly into the top and trickle water down to the roots. Is is also nice because by then the water is warmed a bit. You can also take a tub or sink and just set the plants down into a very shallow bath. This allows the roots to draw up the water while keeping the soil from getting too wet and soggy or having run off of the plants. No one like to find ruined furniture or carpet.
Magic cleaning erasers:
How on earth did my mom with 4 kids ever survive without these!? Just about anything scuff, smear, and caked on mess can be clean up with these priceless gems. I rarely buy the brand name, but even if I did it would be worth it. I sometime rip or cut them into smaller pieces so they last longer and are easier to hold for small spaces. Certain toys have those little textured grooves that make dirt stick and water just run off, but these little things clean the nooks and crannies so well. *Careful to test on a out of sight spot first. Flat paint especially tends to come right off and expose sheet rock. And the point is less work, not more.
Google:
There are so many sites on line that have do-it-yourself (DIY) and home made recipes for things. I have been called the Google Queen because I rarely ask people questions about things. I look up basically everything that I am curious about. Home made cleaners, movie reviews, medical issues, teaching helps, organizing tips....the list is really endless. So, next time you are pondering something, search it and see what you find. It not only saves money, but also trips to the store for groceries. Just remember that if you can buy it, it can be made by you. :)
When a busy week or just a simple trip away from home for a few days means your poor lil' plants will dry out, just place ice cubes on top of the soil. They melt slowly into the top and trickle water down to the roots. Is is also nice because by then the water is warmed a bit. You can also take a tub or sink and just set the plants down into a very shallow bath. This allows the roots to draw up the water while keeping the soil from getting too wet and soggy or having run off of the plants. No one like to find ruined furniture or carpet.
Magic cleaning erasers:
How on earth did my mom with 4 kids ever survive without these!? Just about anything scuff, smear, and caked on mess can be clean up with these priceless gems. I rarely buy the brand name, but even if I did it would be worth it. I sometime rip or cut them into smaller pieces so they last longer and are easier to hold for small spaces. Certain toys have those little textured grooves that make dirt stick and water just run off, but these little things clean the nooks and crannies so well. *Careful to test on a out of sight spot first. Flat paint especially tends to come right off and expose sheet rock. And the point is less work, not more.
Google:
There are so many sites on line that have do-it-yourself (DIY) and home made recipes for things. I have been called the Google Queen because I rarely ask people questions about things. I look up basically everything that I am curious about. Home made cleaners, movie reviews, medical issues, teaching helps, organizing tips....the list is really endless. So, next time you are pondering something, search it and see what you find. It not only saves money, but also trips to the store for groceries. Just remember that if you can buy it, it can be made by you. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment